Saturday, May 30, 2009

Broken yet Inspired

I'm all packed and ready to get up early to catch my 7:00 flight out of Peoria in the morning. It was a trip home that I will never forget. Olivia's services were hard, yet amazing. I felt broken, yet inspired. And although the feeling of sadness filled the rooms....there was so much love that it was comforting. It was like no experience I have ever had before. The turnout at the funeral and burial of PICU employees from OSF was incredible. It didn't surprise me though. Not only did it pay tribute to an AMAZING little girl, it also paid tribute to two amazing PARENTS! I guess I'm not the only one in the world that knows what a gift Julie is.

The sermon.......the music........it was perfect! The AMAZING Cookie Bannon sang at the funeral and burial. She sang one of Olivia's favorite songs, 5 Little Ducks, at the burial. Cookie said, "When I sang this song to Olivia her reaction made me feel like an American Idol." (Cookie has player her guitar and sang to thousands of sick children at the Children's Hospital.) Her words and her music were so inspirational!

How is Julie? That is the question that I get asked the most. I don't know the answer to that. She is holding up well.....but I think the days to come will be hard. The move and changes will keep her busy, but it will take time to heal. Please keep the whole family in your prayers!

We had a little drama of our own. Jonah took a tumble at Grandma Bonnie's that landed him in the ER. He was a brave little guy and 8 stitches to the forehead later, we were on our way home. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Our trip home should go quick if all goes well. I hope Jonah is half as good as he was on our plane ride here. I miss my girls and my guy...can't wait to get home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels, Nicole. Thank you for the update on sweet Olivia's services and Julie and the family. Even in heavan, Olivia continues to touch many, many lives.
Sara