This blog has overwhelmed me. Why? Certainly not because I have been posting a ton of pictures and stories of our adventures. It's because I feel so behind. I have so many pics of Andrea's visit, Easter vacation, and misc. events. So much to blog and no time to do it. So, I am taking the flylady saying and using it here....I'm not behind, I'm just getting started. I officially start over on the blog and I am sorry about all the pics I didn't get on here.
How am I doing?
I am okay. I'm still adjusting to life in the Carolinas. It is different here. VERY different. Some days I almost feel like I am in a different country. I still can't wrap my brain around why it's so different, but I felt very comforted last week when I ran into another family from Illinois and they felt the same way. I am struggling with a lot of issues here....one big one is racist attitudes. I have heard more racist comments since I have lived here in the last 6 months, than I can remember in the last 20 years of my life. It really has thrown me for a loop. I'm trying to figure it all out. I don't understand how there is a church on every corner....yet such words and thoughts flow so freely. I'm not sure if I am going to be able to....or if I want to really call this place home. I'm a Yankee....I guess. I've been called it several times. I think it's an insult although it is said in a joking manor. Just so different here!
The thing that is so crazy is that people are so friendly.....when someone in a store asks you how your day is....they really want to know and seem to care. What a nice change! And those people that say what I consider very nasty words....they are not bad people. They are actually educated and neighborly people. Just SO DIFFERENT. And I hate it! Okay, I said it...... I hate the way that people here make me feel. My heart hurts. And I don't think I want to stay. Wow...I'm getting way too honest here.
Okay, so on a light note we had AWESOME weather this weekend and my children played outside like crazy.
Highlights:
-We finally caught a lizard (but the girls let it go)
-My neighbor sold us her train table and train set. We gave it to Jonah as an early birthday present today.....he LOVES it!
-The girls both had school friends over to play today. It was so great to have 4 giggly girls around my table eating hot brownies.
-We had dinner over at our neighbor's house Sat. night. My friend Denise, who I met while living in the apartment, joined us. It was so fun. The kids had an awesome time playing and the adults had a great time too!
-Jonah has went from baby boy to big boy in the last month. He is starting to talk more, listen more, and want to do big kids stuff. I LOVE this age! Although he is a joy 95% of the time....we did have a few moments tonight at a pizza parlor. My sweet little man threw his plate across the room like a frisbee. Pizza went flying and it was embarrassing! As I was trying to quickly pick up his mess, he threw his drink....like a ball player, to the other side. It busted open and made another mess. Other tables were entertained by his actions....I was NOT!
So....overall we are working on life in the Carolinas. Life is good....but not at all complete. I'm working on figuring out what I need to do to help it feel more right. Maybe I'm just a small town girl from Illinois and that is that. I don't know yet. I'll keep you posted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Nicole. I'm Sarah's cousin Misty. I found your blog through hers and I have to say I totally relate on being a small town girl from Illinois and being thrown into life in the south. It's such a different world. We have lived in Charleston twice over the past 10 years and although we loved it there we also encountered many racial issues and never quite felt at home there. We are now living just north of Jacksonville, Fl and it's much different here. Still southern but not nearly the racism we experienced in the Carolinas. I wish you all the best with getting comfortable and settled in your new home. You're more than welcome to read my blog if you're interested, I say just about everything but Sarah may have warned you of me already, lol. Anyway, just email me at garcjrmy@aol.com if you're interested and I'll add you!
Just wanted to say I love ya and hang in there....and call me anytime you want to chat!!!
Post a Comment