One hard part of moving is finding a new church. I wanted to go so bad today....but where. I have been a person of many church families:
When I was in grade school: Lutheran
When I was in Jr High and part of High School: Presbyterian
When I was in College: Catholic
After we got married: Lutheran
The last few years: Catholic
Now, many would look down on my lack of consistency....but I don't really care where we worship as long as it feels good and I have time with God. I LOVE the familiarity of the Catholic church...no matter where you go you know the mass and it feels and smells similar....kind of like being home. But....I LOVE contemporary services. I don't sing at church...I know God loves my horrible voice, but I just choose to keep it too myself....until I am singing praise and worship music. I just can't help myself. And...with the Catholic church you will not get the contemporary services. I just don't know what to do....and "church shopping" is SO HARD. I hate feeling the people look at us when we attend a new church. So, I chickened out and didn't go today. Although I enjoy mass I am not set on the Catholic church....but I don't feel like I need to be saved....any suggestions???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Why not look at various Catholic parishes in the area? In this time of transition the consistancy of the Mass may be just what you need. The Catholic School in Dixon met your needs, so perhaps you would be at peace in a familiar church setting. Contemporary services are available in larger geographic areas. Look for a youth Mass, as they are often more contemporary. RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) classes are being offered in most parishes. That might be a way to meet your spiritual needs, and meet new people. Finding a church will probably not be as difficult as finding a house. God is everywhere! Suzanne
When we were looking for a church to attend, we decided to visit Immanuel Lutheran because we knew a few families that attended. It was still a daunting task, and I too, was hesitant. Even though I grew up attending traditional services, the contemporary service at Immanuel really appealed to me. Grace enjoys it and Luke loves the upbeat music. Also, it seems to be a much more relaxed environment, which is helpful when you have a vocal 17 month old! I think you should attend a few different services and see what feels right to you. Perhaps some of Ben's new coworkers would have some suggestions. Until then, continue to talk to God no matter where you are because he is listening!
Sara
Totally understand where you are at, but the Catholic church does have contemporary services. Try to look around. One place you might find enjoyable is on a college campus. The newman club is great in helping younger people. Just remember the true presence of the Eucharistic Sacrament within the Catholic church. We will pray for you and your family. BJK JDK
Post a Comment