Sunday, September 7, 2008

3 weeks until the big run!

Only three weeks until the 1/2 marathon. This weekend I did an 11 mile run. I wish I could write and tell you how energizing and great it was, but I would be lying out my teeth. I was a mess after mile 8. It hurt....I had a horrible cramp.....my stomach wasn't in good shape..... and my legs were tight and cramping. After a bathroom stop, I thought I could pick it up, but I stopped to walk at mile 9, and I sent my running buddy, Lori, to continue without me. I had the worst cramp and I couldn't run through it. I walked for almost a mile and then talked to a guy who was an obvious seasoned runner. I asked him what I should do about my cramp. He told me to only nose breath. I thanked him and started up again. His advise helped and I finished the last mile.

After I got home and I wasn't worth a thing. I am starting to have knee issues so I took my sister's advise. I filled the bathtub with the ice container from my fridge and cold water. I sat in that for about 5 min, then took a hot shower. Wow....it really worked! Although my knees felt good, the rest of me just wanted to go to bed. Ben just laughed at me b/c I would sit on the floor and stare. My legs had nothing left to give. But, two pain killers later I was up and going. From my experience I have decided that I do want to continue running regularly....but I am not a long distance runner. A nice 5 mile run works for me. I don't ever see myself running a full marathon.

No comments: