Friday, July 18, 2008

Charlie's Angels

It was Valentines Day last year. I was out with the girls and didn’t take my cell phone. When I arrived home there were several messages on the answering machine and many missed calls on my cell. It was obvious that Ben really wanted to talk to me. When I called him he had a frantic sound to his voice. He told me that there was a horrible car accident close to the plant and he heard it was a mother and two children in a mini van. Although I don’t travel to his plant often, Ben worried that we were heading to see him for a special Valentines Day surprise. He feared that it was our family involved in the accident. He was really shaken up. I later heard that the mother was pronounced dead on the scene, and later one of the children passed. There was one little boy that survived, but was in critical condition.

A year and a half later… My friend, Amy Boss, approached me. She was determined to train a group of non-runners to run the Quad Cities half-marathon to raise money for a family that she works with. Amy is a speech pathologist. At first I didn’t think much of it…I’m not a runner. But the more I thought about it I thought it would be an excellent challenge for a good cause. It wasn’t until weeks later that I found out that the family we are running for is the family and the little boy that experienced the crash on that memorable Valentines Day. It was a moment that covered my body with goose bumps and I knew that I was meant to run this race.

We are called “Charlie’s Angels” and we have been meeting 4 days a week at 5:15 a.m. to train for this. Charlie lives with his Dad and two sisters. He needs constant care. He is almost 3 years old. He is not yet talking, and his movement is limited, but he has come much farther than doctors predicted. His father works for the Dixon John Deere Implement. I have not met the family, but from what I have heard, they sound amazing. Charlie’s nanny has been up early with us and tells stories of his progress. Charlie needs a lot of large adaptive equipment and Amy knows that an addition to their home for Charlie’s care is a goal. This is what she hopes to raise money for.

Here is a link to the story of the accident:
http://www.saukvalley.com/articles/2007/02/15/news/local/353006288379151.txt

Please consider helping me to raise money for this family. Thank you! Nicole

Attached is the official letter.

Dear Family and Friends:

“The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you.”

The task that I am about to embark upon is one of great purpose and devotion. I’ve dedicated my time training to compete in the Quad-City Half Marathon on September 28, 2008. Together with a team of runners, I am attempting to raise money in order to assist a local family with the many challenges they face. Running a 13-mile race may seem like a daunting task, but your support and generosity will help me make it across the finish line.

I’ve decided to take on this task for one reason: I want to make a difference and give a deserving family hope for a promising future. Our team will be running for a boy named Charlie. Last year, Charlie was in a car accident, which left him solely dependent on others to help him perform what one would consider simple daily tasks. With your help, Charlie will continue receiving quality assistance for many years. My training will be rough, but nowhere near as tough as the obstacles and challenges Charlie faces every day. Every bit helps bring us closer to the finish line, as well as makes a difference in both Charlie and his family’s lives.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my letter and (potentially) involving yourself in such a wonderful cause. Please feel free to pass this letter along to any friends and family that would be interested in supporting Charlie. The more support we have the greater Charlie and his family will benefit. This is your opportunity to touch a child’s life and you don’t even have to break a sweat. Again, on behalf of Charlie, his family, and out team of runners, I think you for your support.

Many thanks and appreciation,

Nicole


Please make checks out to Jennifer Thompson Children’s’ Trust and return to me by September 15th, 2008.

_______$25 ______$50 ______$75 _______$100 Other_______

Please send checks to:
Nicole Hawkinson
229 W. Chamberlin St.
Dixon, IL 61021

No comments: